Memorizing Scripture

Does this type of conversation ever happen to you?

Me:  "The bible says xyz on this ______ topic"

Child: "Where does it say that?"

Me: "Ummm, somewhere in the book of _________.  I would have to look up the passage specifically."

I have caught myself saying this on several occasions and beginning with September I have a goal to commit scriptures to memory and I'm going to involve my family by using the Charlotte Mason Method.  When my children were younger we worked on scripture, memorizing the books of the bible or bible facts each evening, but sadly in recent months as my children have grown older we have fallen away from that good practice and it is time to pick it up again.

Here are the supplies that I happened to have on hand to create my scripture box below.

  • 5x8 index card box - I particularly like this one due to the fact it has a slider that moves to expand as your collection grows and keeps the cards and dividers upright at all times.

  • Dividers - I like the bright colors and they are extremely durable.

  • Label maker - I used this to make my divider label titles.  Anytime I get to use my label maker it makes me so happy!  :)

Here you can see my empty box ready to be filled with scripture cards.



I admittedly am a bit intimidated by this project, but know that it will be blessing if we are disciplined and consistent with our study and daily review.  We would love to hear input from others who have used this method and we love hearing ideas that our readers have implemented on ways to impress the Word of God upon our children as we are commanded.
Deuteronomy 6:5-9 ~  Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

0 comments